Town just stops, where no one has yet put up a fence and laid a concrete slab. And the only music is, you guessed it, country. Like, "I may not know what love is, but I know what it ain't" after the singer sees his "girlfriend" kissing his ex- best (male) friend; or, "I'm sitting here fancy-free, I love her still; but she wouldn't be good for me, if I kept her against her will." and, of course, Taylor Swift's country music award song, "Why you gotta be so mean":
You have pointed out my flaws again
As if I don’t already see them
I walk with my head down
Trying to block you out ’cause I’ll never impress you
I just wanna feel okay again
I bet you got pushed around
Somebody made you cold
But the cycle ends right now
Cause you can’t lead me down that road
And you don’t know, what you don’t know…
Someday I’ll be living in a big ol’ city
And all you’re ever going to be is mean
Someday I’ll be big enough so you can’t hit me
And all you’re ever going to be is mean
Why you gotta be so mean?
Or, the proto-lyrics Gary suggested when trying to express how much he appreciated my help during his visit with his mother: "I've got buckets of 'darlin' for you, darlin'", "darlin" being the generic term of endearment among redneck cowboys.
The wind blows on the plains. It really blows. Steady about 35-40 mph, gust up past 50. Nothing between the Lincoln National Forest at Ruidoso (where 10,000+ acres just burned in a wildfire), and West Texas. It's treeless, flat, ugly, and deserted. Even the rabbits and antelopes seem to have left the area. Gary says he remembers as a child traveling this route, playing "games" where people counted the rabbits they saw on the road. We saw one.
And, now we're in Santa Fe. Here's some preliminary pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment