Not only does New Mexico now have a state cowboy song (see earlier post), it also has an official state guitar. Custom crafted by Pimentel and Sons, a long time established company of guitar makers, based in Albuquerque, the state guitar is called the New Mexico Sunrise and has an ivory and coral inlaid Zia sun symbol on the neck.
There's also a state cookie, a piece of legislation, which was the subject of much snickering (get the pun?) during the recent session. It's the biscochito, otherwise known as the Mexican wedding cookie -a shortbread-like anise flavored cookie. Google "biscochito" and at least 3 pages of recipes come up.
And, there's a bi-lingual state song (never mind).
Another vignette from Carlsbad: A couple of young men, gringos, who were in front of us, paying at the Mexican restaurant, went outside, got into a pickup truck, and the driver took a hand gun out from his waistband (where it had obviously been during dinner) and put it on the floor by his feet in the driver's side.
The correction: the restaurant in Albuquerque (see earlier post) is El Pinto, not La Pinta. How could I have made that mistake!! They sell their salsa and sauces in grocery stores all over the state - even in Carlsbad!
Speaking of restaurants - Roswell has not just one, but two, Thai restaurants and they are both very good. Also a Hunan Chinese restaurant. And, of course, numerous barbeque and ribs places. Cows and pigs are high on the food chain here.
Did I mention that the world's largest cheese factory is here?
Boy, don't check in for a couple of days and you miss the world...well the world of New Mexico anyway. You are so getting me ready for a road trip. Lovin' it ! (I'd join your Followers but I can't seem to get it to work. Maybe I'll try again...procrastination, here.)
ReplyDelete